- Among the topics we might discuss:
- Subjectivity/objectivity: Can you detect what political or national point of view predominates in this article? What clues can you point to?
- What ideas in the article seem to you to be useful analytical tools? Which ideas or generalizations seem unhelpful?
- What argument is the author making? Do you agree?
- If you had to boil the article down to three or four points, what would they be?
Useful words and phrases:
to call out; called out
-speak (as a functional suffix)
didn't do oneself any favors
to pop up
to run smb out of town
brush with infamy (brush with ...)
to weave ... into
to leave in the lurch
to stigmatize (-ise)
to ostracize (-ise)
old dog, new tricks