Full article is here on the newspaper's site.
Here's an interesting combination of themes: history and food. As you study this article, be prepared to address these topics in class:
- In a few sentences, what is this article about?
- Who is the audience for this article?
- How is this article organized? What are the major subpoints?
- Do you think you would enjoy reading these food historians' book? Why or why not?
- Are you aware of any similar experiences in Russian history? What foods might be associated with these experiences?
ascending (to the presidency)
the crash (or the Crash)
the land of plenty
fraught (a fraught subject)
mystery dishes, mystery food
let-me-eat-cake ("Let them eat cake")
got back on its feet