First, some useful words and phrases to discuss:
in equal measure
cross section (literal and figurative)
from person to person
think (peremptory, used in parenthetical explanations; usually used without prepositions such as "of" or "about")
to suffer the consequences
downward (upward) trajectory
gambit, opening gambit
thrilled to hear, to see, to learn
to stand out
icebreaker; to break the ice
to glaze over
deal, a better deal
on first meeting
sour, to go sour
to derogate, derogation
empathic (cf. empathetic)
to put down
to put stock in
on the prowl
need (noun), needs
Questions for reflection and discussion:
- Give the name, author, and source of this article.
- Briefly, what is this article about?
- How is the article organized? What are its major divisions or subthemes?
- Who is the intended audience? (How do you know?)
- What will you remember in a week from this article? In a year?
- What is the strongest feature or aspect of this article? What is its weakest feature or aspect?
- What new information did you learn? (Just an example or two is enough.) Do you trust this information? How would you check to see it is trustworthy?