First, think about a hobby or interest of yours, or about a news story or public concern that you know about. (Ideas: the ideal vacation; music; file-sharing; cost of education; alcohol and addiction; starting your own business; global warming; finding a soulmate; online friendships; are libraries obsolete?; preserving historic buildings.)
Write an opening paragraph, perhaps with a phrase from this list:
- Many people prefer _____, but a growing number believe that ______.
- The increasing number of ______ has become an urgent problem.
- Many of my friends think that ______. Here's why they are right. OR However, I believe they are wrong.
- Some people believe that ______, while others argue strongly that _____.
- Ever since the ______ incident, journalists and politicians have argued for more ______.
- One day I was on my way to _______, when suddenly ________. I realized that ________ and decided to do something about it.
In your third section, express and explain the "other side's" point of view, or explain the weaknesses of your own point of view.
Finally, draw a conclusion or make a recommendation to the reader.
Use these phrases if they are helpful.
You have two weeks for this assignment. Next week (December 12 or 14), tell me what your topic is, and in the following week (December 19 or 21), please bring your finished essay of 200-250 words to class.