Saturday, April 14, 2012

Buddy Guy plays acoustic guitar

Buddy Guy is best known for playing electric guitar and for making his own enormous contribution to Chicago blues. His appeal and influence go way beyond Chicago, of course: Eric Clapton acknowledges that Guy is one of the very best guitarists in the world.

I've been to maybe ten of his concerts over the years, and he always takes some time to pick up an acoustic guitar, as he did here in Des Moines, Iowa, USA: (Notice the showmanship and the rapport between musician and audience. This is typical at his concerts.)



And again at Montreux:



The song we heard him sing this past week in class was "Anna Lee," written by Elmore James, Robert McCullom, and Marshall Sehorn.

Here's an audio track of the song:



Amazon.com purchase link

And here are the lyrics, transcribed from Buddy Guy's version:

Anna Lee, I want you for my own, Anna Lee
Anna Lee, I swear I can't leave you alone, Anna Lee
You promised to be mine, just hang around and see

Anna Lee, what's that you got, Anna Lee
Anna Lee, you got me on the spot, Anna Lee
Well, you got to be mine, you just hang around and see

Anna Lee, this is my last goodbye, Anna Lee
Anna Lee, this is my last time to cry, Anna Lee
Well, you got to be mine, you just hang around and see

No comments:

Post a Comment